If you are planning a kitchen renovation, consider a Butler’s Pantry for a hard working space that adds storage and function with a high end look.
What is the Purpose of a Butler’s Pantry?
Traditionally, a butler’s pantry was used as a staging area between the kitchen and the dining room for the butler and footmen to serve dinner. In the old days, butlers would lock away the silver in their pantries, and sometimes even sleep in them! Today’s butler’s pantry is a practical space that adds extra storage for glasses, china, and silverware.They are the jewelry boxes of kitchen design.
What Makes a Butler’s Pantry?
Butler’s pantries usually have the following elements
- The hard finishes such as cabinets, floors and countertops are usually the same or complementary to the adjoining kitchen.
- Upper cabinets have glass doors for a sparkly jewelry box look.
- Designed for beverage service with places for coffee or wine with beverage refrigerators.
- Often have sinks and dishwashers for early cleanup.
- Consider a pop of color or wallpaper, as you would for a powder room.
The Coastal Butler’s Pantry
Our beautiful space has a microwave as well as a place for beverages such as wine and coffee service. We tied in the butler’s pantry and the kitchen by using the same cabinets, hardwood flooring, hardware and honed granite countertop. We highlighted the space by using Sea Salt, SW 6204, a beloved light green paint color. The SW Extra White trim matched the cabinet color.
The butler’s pantry is a great place to keep a beverage cabinet. Here we have coffee as well as a wine rack. I hope to have a butler’s pantry one day!
Some butler’s pantries are attached to mud rooms like this one. We love the view to the mudroom entrance with a classic checkered tile floor and a pair of repeated schoolhouse lights.
Get The Look
The coastal cottage butler’s pantry has very classic details.
- Decora Harmony Full Overlay Door SW Extra White / 2.Asbury Satin Nickel / 3. Schoolhouse Light / 4. Wall Paint, Sea Salt, SW 6204 / 5.Trim & Cabinet Paint, Extra White SW 7006 / 6. Absolute Black Honed Granite 7. Mid-Toned Hardwood Floor / 8. Checkered black and white floor.
Butler’s pantries are hard working and beautiful spaces for entertaining and family meals. The butler’s pantry in our classic coastal cottage was a hit for our homeowners with classic touches. It is as beautiful as it is functional.
NEED HELP PICKING PAINT COLORS?
Did you like this Post? Don’t forget to Pin!