Rooms with Black Paint are a New Trend.
Black paint has become a popular neutral in our quiver of colors, but there are some strategies to keep it balanced. If used properly, black paint acts as a picture frame for the colors in your room. If used incorrectly, it can look heavy and claustrophobic. An entire home with a black interior would be grim, but a single room makes a great statement!by Maddie Camilli for The Color Concierge by Maddie Camilli for The Color Concierge
My den was recently updated with black paint and was surprised by how rich and inviting it made the room. Our home is often used as a lab to experiment with new colors and trends, and this time it was a huge success. The walls are flat Benjamin Moore Onyx 2133-10. Trim and french doors are painted with semi-gloss Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace OC-65. The ceilings feature flat Chantilly Lace. Wall color for the entry is Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray HC-170.by Maddie Camilli for The Color Concierge
In January when I visited the Maison and Objet conference in Paris, black paint with natural tan finishes was a big trend.Asiatides, Maison & Object, Paris, Jan 2018; Photo by Michelle Marceny
MUUBS, Maison & Object, Jan 2018, Paris; Photo by Michelle Marceny
WR Inspired, Maison & Object, Jan 2018, Paris, Photo by Michelle Marceny
Guidelines for Black Paint.
Surfaces recede with black, which is why so many people wear it. Black clothes are slimming, and when you paint a room with flat or matte paint, it makes the walls recede and the room looks bigger. It also makes a sharp statement in a house with a light color palette. When you paint a medium or large room, consider the following guidelines:
- Choose a room with lots of natural light from large windows.
- Consider the view from the windows. Black walls will act as a frame and highlight your view and intensify it (think of your iPhone or computer screen). If your view is unattractive, it will be more vivid.
- Paint your ceilings a fresh white such as Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace or Sherwin Williams Extra White 7006 for added light with a flat sheen.
- Paint the doors and trim with the same white as the ceilings, with a semi-gloss, satin or eggshell sheen.
- Pick a consistent color theme for your interiors. Organic neutrals, jewel tones or brass accents look beautiful. Make sure that you tie in some of the black wall color with your art, throw pillows or furniture.
- Don’t forget to test your colors before you paint. Blacks are a neutral, and they can have cool or warm undertones.
- Use light colored blinds and curtains so that the room still looks bright when the shades are drawn.
For a small room, limit black walls to two walls, and offset with a white wall.After, Laundry Room – Photo by Maddie Camilli for The Color Concierge
For our laundry room, we used Benjamin Moore Onyx 2133-10 on the door and cabinet walls, painted the cabinets with Benjamin Moore Advance Semi-Gloss Chantilly Lace OC-65, and the ceiling and remaining walls flat Chantilly Lace OC-65. Without the crisp white paint color on trims, ceiling and walls, the room would have looked like a cave. This was the laundry room before:Before Laundry Room; Photo by The Color Concierge
Black walls are a new trend for neutrals and can look beautiful and inviting. They work best with lots of light and white surfaces to keep it from looking heavy. For small rooms with black or dark walls, paint two of the adjoining walls white for a lighter effect. What do you think about black walls? Goth or Great? If you are not sure about perfect paint color for your home or office, Hire Us for E-Color Online Color Consulting Packages, or In-Person Color Consulting in the Denver Metro Area.